The X Lazy F was built in the 1930’s by Dr. Kingsley Roberts from New York City. He and his family spent many summers in the ’30’s and ‘40’s at the ranch.
The logs for the cabins came from a local sawmill only half a mile from the ranch. The furniture (made by the Habitant Company) came from Bay City, Michigan; it is rustic and hand-made. It was shipped by train in the late 30’s to Sapinero, then freighted by wagon over the old Black Mesa road. X Lazy F Ranch has the 2nd largest collection in the world of Habitant furniture and it is still in use today.
The ranch had some cattle and lots of horses. They hosted trail rides, fishing in Curecanti Creek, and ranch activities such as branding and driving cattle. They had relay races and played polo. Many of the local old-timers still refer to the ranch as the “dude ranch.”
In 1946 the Roberts family sold the X Lazy F to John and Edna Lamb from Denver. They owned the ranch for 2 years and then sold it to Dr. Wayne Wallace and his wife Ruth from Atchison, Kansas. The boys of Dr. Wallace would come to the ranch in the summer to learn ‘real work in God’s Country’. The Wallace family donated the ranch the Presbyterian Church in the mid 1960’s. The Wallace descendants continue to visit the ranch on a regular basis.